The CTA holiday train has started.
The holiday train – in it 30th year – will travel will travel all eight rail lines through Wednesday, Dec. 22.
In order to help avoid crowding at stations and on platforms, look for the holiday train during afternoons on the dates and rail lines listed below. It will run through Austin on either the Green or Blue Line on these dates:
- Tuesday, November 30: Orange Line and Green Line from about 4 pm to about 8:30 pm
- Thursday, December 16: Blue Line from about 3 pm to about 6:15 pm
- Friday, December 17: Blue Line from about 4 pm to about 7:15 pm
- Saturday, December 18: Blue Line from about 4 pm to about 6:45 pm
As it has since 2014, the CTA will transform a 60-foot bus into a winter wonderland as a way to thank customers and bring added cheer during the holiday season.
The bus will feature holiday music, and Santa will be waving and from the roof hatch.
The bus will travel 14 different routes throughout the city beginning Tuesday, Nov. 30 through Thursday, Dec. 23. Two bus routes that serve Austin will feature the holiday bus on these dates:
- December 7-8: #66 Chicago
- December 9 : #126 Jackson
There will be some restrictions — based on the recommendations of public health officials — to keep riders healthy. Everyone, no matter their age, will be required to wear a mask or face covering.
To see the entire holiday train and bus schedule, click here.