An Austin church that feeds the needy was without heat Friday and asking for help.
Fraternite Notre Dame, 502 N. Central Ave., lost both of its boilers — the first conked out two weeks ago and the second died on Wednesday — due to age and the below-freezing temperatures, said Sr. Marie Valerie.
One heating company told the nuns the entire heating system needs to be replaced, at a cost of about $200,000.
CAPS Sgt. Roger Powell said the church does such great work in the neighborhood that he felt compelled to try to help.
“This is one of our neighbors,” Powell said.
Fraternite Notre Dame feeds breakfast to about 200 people every day, and 300 to 400 people receive food every Wednesday, Powell said.
Eight sisters live at the site and have been staying warm with space heaters, according to local media.
Anyone interested in donating can do so directly by stopping by the church, or by sending a check made out to Fraternite Notre Dame.
A GoFundMe campaign has also been set up.