Several West Side churches will offer free health screenings Sunday, Sept. 28.
More than 60 Chicago-area churches will participate in the annual event, put on by the nonprofit First Ladies Health Initiative and sponsored by Walgreens. Any and everyone is invited to attend; you don’t have to be a member of the church.
Medical volunteers will administer on-site health tests for diabetes, breast cancer, Hepatitis C, HIV/AIDS and other conditions that disproportionately affect African-Americans. The Chicago Sun-Times wrote about one family whose 24-year-old son’s health problems were uncovered at last year’s event.
Here are the Austin churches taking part:
- Austin Church of God (First Lady Joan Leach), 4750 W. Washington Blvd. from 12 to 2 p.m.
- Christ Tabernacle MBC of Austin (First Lady Constella Ford), 854 N. Central Ave. from 12 to 2 p.m.
- Destiny Worship Center (First Lady Patricia Patterson), 5510-14 W. Chicago Ave. from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Heritage International Christen Church (First Lady Monique Gunn) 5312 W. North Ave. from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m
- Mars Hills Baptist Church (Chair/First Lady Shauntai Stowers), 5916 W. Lake St. from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Mercy Seat MB Church (First Lady Rosanna Brown), 411 N. Long Ave. from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Click here to see the full listing of churches.